Recess Guidance for Schools Based on Air Quality
When should students stay inside? When should recess be canceled? When should sports and exercise be limited?
The Utah Department of Environmental Quality, the State Office of Education and the Utah Department of Health has collaborated to develop a set of air quality guidelines for schools to use in determining whether to cancel outdoor recess on bad air days.
- Recess Guidance for Schools (updated January 2008)
- Check Today's Air Quality
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Suggestions for Implementing the Recess Guidance
Fact Sheets, and Other Resources
- Recess air quality alerts - Receive air quality notifications based on the recess guidance directly to your email.
- Sample letter for parents
- Air Pollution in Utah - Fact sheet - Describes air quality in Utah.
- Where does pollution come from?
- Tracking pollution
- My lungs and Pollution
Utah Department of Health
Phone: (801) 538-6441