Employment-Related Personal Assistance Services (EPAS)
What is EPAS?
EPAS is a Medicaid service for people with disabilities who work and need personal assistance in order to maintain their employment.
This service is designed to provide personal assistance for persons who may have physical, mental, cognitive, and/or developmental disabilities that are working in an integrated and competitive setting. The assistance provided is for tasks directly related to maintaining employment.
Who Qualifies for the EPAS program?
A person must:
- Receive Utah Medicaid (Including Medicaid Work Incentive)
- Have a disability
- Currently be employed in an integrated and competitive setting
- Work at least 10 hours/week, or 40 hours/month
- Need personal assistance in order to maintain their employment.
What Services are Covered by a Personal Assistant?
Examples of services include:
|Meal Preparation||Shopping||Money Management|
|Medication Management||Transportation (for work)||Symptom Management|
What Services are NOT Covered by a Personal Assistant?
|Job Coaching||Reasonable Accommodations||Job Training|
EPAS may not be used for assistance related to complete job tasks, including job coaching, job training, or as a reasonable accommodation that an employer is required to provide under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Who can be a Personal Assistant?
Because EPAS is a Self-Services program the EPAS participants may choose/hire his/her own personal assistants.
A Personal Assistant:
- May NOT be a legal guardian (i.e. Parent to a minor child or Spouse)
- Must be 16 years of age or older
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Have automobile liability insurance
- Never have been convicted of a criminal offense
Examples of persons who could be Personal Assistants include:
- Parent (to an adult child)
How Do I Apply?
Download the EPAS Application and either mail or fax it to:
Employment-related Personal Assistant Services
Utah Department of Health
Division of Medicaid & Health Finance
288 North 1460 West
PO Box 143112
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-3112
Fax: (801) 323-1588
For more information, see the following Fact Sheets:
- EPAS Fact Sheet English (Click Here)
- EPAS Hoja de Información en Español (Click Here)
- Application (Click Here)
Phone: (801) 538-6955
Other Sources for Personal Assistance Services http://www.health.utah.gov/ltc/index.html
Personal Assistance Services (PAS) and other similar kinds of support are also available to persons eligible for the Medicaid Home and Community Based Waiver Services. The Physical Disabilities Waiver, the Community Supports Waiver, the Brain Injury Waiver, the New Choices Waiver, the Autism Waiver, and the Aging Waiver.
Individuals may NOT receive EPAS services during the same period they are receiving Waiver services.