Utah Department of Health Women Infants and Children Program

Welcome to the Utah WIC Program.

How can WIC help my family?
WIC provides certain nutritious foods for growing families, information on healthy eating, help for breastfeeding moms and babies and referrals to health care.

Who Qualifies for WIC?
To qualify for WIC, you must:

  • Live in Utah. You do not have to be a US citizen.

  • Have a family income less than WIC guidelines. Click here to see the guidelines. A person receiving Medicaid, the Family Employment Program (TANF) or Food Stamps already meets the income eligibility requirements.

  • Have a special nutritional need.

  • Be in one of the following groups:
    • pregnant
    • breastfeeding
    • a woman who has just had a baby
    • an infant
    • child less than 5 years of age

  • USDA WIC Prescreening Tool

What does WIC provide?

Nutrition Education
At each clinic visit, you will have an opportunity to learn about nutrition. We provide WIC participants with classes on infant feeding, breastfeeding, dental health, shopping on a budget, and much more. The classes you attend should be helpful for you and your family. We will try to schedule you for a class that will meet your needs. Please let the staff know what topics you are interested in.

Breastfeeding Promotion and Support
All mothers want to do what is best for their babies. Breastfeeding gives the very best nutrition possible for your baby. It is always changing to meet your baby's needs. No formula can compare with breast milk.

The Utah WIC program supports breastfeeding. All staff members at each clinic are dedicated to helping all women breastfeed. Peer counselors, who are mothers that have breastfed, are also ready to help.

Nutritious Foods
WIC foods are good sources of important nutrients. No single food gives you all the nutrients you need to stay healthy, so eat many different foods every day.

Click here to view WIC approved foods.

WIC encourages all women to breastfeed. It is the best food for babies. If a baby is not breastfed, some formula may be provided by WIC. WIC does not supply enough formula to feed your baby for one month. You may still have to buy more formula at the end of the month.

The WIC clinic can help you find out about other programs that may be helpful to you and your family. They have information on:

  • Immunizations
  • Prenatal care
  • Family Planning
  • Well child exams
  • Health care
  • Medicaid, Food Stamps and the Family Employment Program
  • Substance abuse treatment centers
  • Food banks

Please let the WIC staff know how they can help you!

Click here to watch the WIC Orientation Video:

Our Youtube Channel

WIC Orientation Videos on YouTube

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email:program.intake@usda.gov.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

What is WIC?  |  How to Apply  |  Clinic Locations  |  Where to Shop  |  Privacy Policy  |  Disclaimer

Copyright 2013-2014, Utah Department of Health. All rights reserved.