Utah Department of Health Women Infants and Children Program

How Do I Apply for WIC Benefits?

In order to apply and qualify for WIC benefits, you must reside in Utah, provide valid identification and meet the income guidelines. Please follow the steps below:

  1. Check the chart below for the income eligibility guidelines. Your household's gross income must be at or below the amounts shown based upon the size of your household. Pregnant women may count their unborn child as a household member. If you receive Medicaid, SNAP (Food Stamps), or Family Employment Program (TANF) your income may already qualify.

    WIC Income Guidelines
    Effective July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016
    (Based on gross income)

    Loading Data...

    *Pregnant women count as 2 (mom and unborn child) when calculating household size.

  2. If your income qualifies, call the nearest clinic in the county or health district in which you live. You can find contact information by clicking here: Clinic locations. The clinic will schedule you for the next available WIC appointment. Some clinics offer walk-in appointments. Please contact the clinic for more information.

  3. Please take the following items to your appointment:

    • Proof of identity for yourself and each child to be certified such as a Driver's license, Medicaid Card, Birth Certificate, or Passport. If you cannot bring one of these forms of ID, the clinic can explain other acceptable forms if ID.
    • Proof of residency such as a current utility bill with a street address (no PO boxes), rent or mortgage receipt.
    • Proof of income for each household member who works. You must bring documentation such as check stubs showing the last 30 days of pay. If you receive Medicaid you may bring your Medicaid card as proof of income. You may also bring a letter from Human Services showing the amount you receive in Food Stamps or the Family Employment Program.
    • Immunization records for your children being certified.
    • Don't forget to bring your children to be certified!
  4. At the clinic, you will be asked many questions. Don't worry, all information shared with the WIC clinic is confidential. You will be asked to identify your race and ethnicity. This information is for record keeping purposes only and does not affect your eligibility. Your height and weight will be measured and a simple blood test may be taken.

    You will meet with a nutritionist. She will discuss your health and nutrition with you. She will then tell you the reason you qualify for the program and what you will receive. She will also give you simple ideas in improving your family's diet. Ask the nutritionist any questions you might have. They are there to help you.

    Lastly, you will receive WIC vouchers and an ID packet. Vouchers are used like checks to purchase specific foods at the store. These vouchers may be redeemed at Authorized WIC Stores

    You will continue to have appointments at the WIC clinic to receive nutrition education and pick up your vouchers.

If you have any questions please contact your WIC clinic.

USDA WIC Prescreening Tool

WIC Rights and Responsibilities.pdf file WIC Rights and Responsibilities.pdf

WIC Rights and Responsibilities (Spanish).pdf file WIC Rights and Responsibilities (Spanish).pdf

WIC Orientation Videos:

Our Youtube Channel

WIC Orientation Videos on YouTube

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email:program.intake@usda.gov.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

What is WIC?  |  How to Apply  |  Clinic Locations  |  Where to Shop  |  Privacy Policy  |  Disclaimer

Copyright 2013-2014, Utah Department of Health. All rights reserved.